We originally wanted to sign up for the 3d2n cruise around Halong Bay. Unfortunately the sail schedule didn’t work with our dates. Instead, we did the Bai Tu Long Bay cruise on a newer, more luxurious boat: the Dragon Legend. Out of all the cruise companies, we chose Indochina Junk based on their reviews. It’s slightly more expensive but you get what you pay for.
It was cold and gloomy when we visited in December. While we didn’t get to swim in the bay, we got to see this beautiful UNESCO site in another light. The limestone formations were extra serene against the breeze and drizzle.
Day 1: pickup from hotel – embark and check in at Hon Gai harbor – set menu lunch on board – cruise to Vung Dang / Cong Dam area – kayak (it was too cold to swim in December) – dinner – relax
Day 2: Tai Chi on the sun-deck – breakfast – explore Thien Canh Son Cave – kayak – check out – lunch – disembark – puppet show at Yen Duc village (we slept on the van) – arrive in Hanoi
Approaching the Dragon Legend from the smaller boat
Set-menu lunch with a view
Beautiful cabins with a in-suite jacuzzi tub
Delicious set-menu dinner
Pho for breakfast of course! With squid we caught the previous night!
- our driver on the way there wasn’t very friendly
- WiFi wasn’t working in our van on the way there (the cruise manager made an effort to correct this and put us on a van that does have working wifi on the way back, so kudos!)
- the shower drain doesn’t really drain. Water collects at the opposite end and makes a little flood outside because there’s barely an edge. We had to turn the water off every few minutes (mid shower so it’s freezing!) to kick the water over to the side with the drain. That really didn’t do anything because it’d start to flood as soon as we turned the shower back on.
- There were literally no other boats in sight on our route along Bai Tu Long Bay. This made the whole experience extra special and intimate
- I hate long drives, but the 3hr ride to the port and back wasn’t even bad! Their luxury vans are very comfortable and are equipped with WiFi
- Excellent service by all the crew members!
- The cabins on the Dragon Legend are massive and beautiful, there’s even an in-suite jacuzzi tub
- Wide variety of delicious food and drinks; everything is super fresh
- Squid fishing wasn’t included in the itinerary but our crew invited us to do this at night. This was so much fun!
The 2d1n cruise on Indochina Junk’s Dragon Legend was an unforgettable experience. Bai Tu Long Bay is much quieter; we recommend it over the more well-known and popular Ha Long Bay. Hopefully they’ve fixed the shower drain problem by now!
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post; these are my own honest opinions:)
Like it? Pin it!